Skip to: navigation, or content.




Cities & Towns

Timpson, Texas


Timpson, Shelby County, Texas

Population 1166
Square Miles 2.5 sq miles
Major Employers Timpson ISD
B & B Foods

 

Our History

In 1884, Houston businessman Paul Bremond (1818-1885) and other investors began planning for a new railroad, Houston East & West Texas (H.E.&W.T.) to connect Houston and Shreveport. In 1885, surveys were made along the northern edge of Shelby County. The first survey went through an existing town, Buena Vista. The leading citizens were unhappy with the prices offered by surveyors. A second survey was made. The new townsite was laid out in the midst of the woods missing Buena Vista by three miles. The new town was called Timpson in honor of Paul C. Timpson, the railroad official who laid out the townsite. Buena Vista lost many citizens who moved west to the new railroad town.

Businesses developed quickly in Timpson. An axe handle factory was built in 1906 which was one of the best in the South. In 1909, the Timpson Soda and Mineral Water Company was one of the largest concerns for making carbonated water in the state. Timpson had a barber college and two banks, the Cotton Belt Bank, the oldest in Shelby County, and the First National Bank. There was a canning factory for peaches and a tomato shed that boxed and shipped tomatoes. A fine hotel was built near the train tracks, known later and for many years as the Blankenship Hotel, a fine dining place.

 

Interactive Map